According to recent statistics, foodborne pathogens, such as Salmonella, Toxoplasma, Listeria, and E. Coli, cause approximately 48 million illnesses, with more than 120,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths, in the US each year. Considering these alarming figures, food quality and safety management has become one of the most important aspects for the entire food industry.
With a comprehensive quality management software system, a food manufacturer can ensure product quality, prevent contamination, and avoid not only the costs associated with the removal, disposal, and replacement of products but also a bad reputation.
Whether you’re in the food production, packaging, or storage sector, having a complex food management system is critical in order to keep up and comply with relevant legislation, ranging from nutrient profile guidelines to biosafety and biosecurity measures; identify and track quality issues; efficiently manage nonconforming products; correlate diagnostic results with corrective measures; and create contingency plans for unexpected events, including foodborne illness outbreaks.
One of the best ERP systems that can help you manage all these is Dynamics AX. Providing an integrated approach to all the challenges facing food manufacturing industry, the standard quality management functionality included in Dynamics AX makes possible superior quality control, monitoring, and tracking.
Dynamics AX ERP Quality and Compliance Toolset
Dynamics AX delivers a flexible quality management software solution for controlling manufacturing processes, improving product quality, and enhancing customer satisfaction. With this system, you can:
- efficiently manage all logistics activities, ranging from the receipt of ingredients/raw materials from suppliers to the delivery of products to customers;
- automate quality control processes, define the items and/or operations that need to be checked, and specify test areas and tools according to pre-established criteria (e.g. you can set up the system to automatically issue quality orders upon the receipt of materials/ingredients);
- determine Acceptable Quality Levels (AQLs) and define quality statuses for items/batches/lots;
- set a series of characteristics for products, including fat and moisture rates, expiration dates, etc.;
- perform quantitative-versus-qualitative analysis at different product, batch, and lot levels;
- save the results of each quality test and check whether or not it meets previously determined AQLs;
- relate nonconforming events to each other in order to identify common causes of quality problems;
- calculate the costs incurred as a result of nonconformance, including the costs of identifying and managing non-compliant products/processes, and implementing corrective measures;
- schedule relevant corrective actions to prevent problem recurrence.
Monitoring and Tracking
Knowing exactly where ingredients/products come from is very important when a nonconformance occurs. Unlike other ERP systems, which are unable to deliver the level of traceability required to track non-compliant ingredients/products back to their sources, Dynamics AX provides full visibility across the entire supply chain, from suppliers to retailers.
When you receive a complaint, you can use this quality management software solution to track all the operations across your supply chain based on ingredient, finished good, batch and/or lot numbers and take the corrective actions required. Dynamics AX also allows manufacturers to monitor the measures implemented and evaluate if the intended results have been achieved.
In addition, Dynamics AX combines process with discrete and lean functionality, enabling mixed-mode manufacturing to offer users a complex solution that addresses even the most daunting challenges a manufacturer must overcome to stay competitive.
View our Merrick Pet Food online testimonial to find out how Dynamics AX enabled growth and kept up with demand in a fast paced industry. To find out more about the functionality included in Dynamics AX, contact our Dallas/Fort Worth sales team at 800.331.8382.