ERP Implementation can be very challenging. Following these 5 simple steps can ensure a successful ERP implementation for your organization.
The Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software implementation process consists of a set of steps that must be followed to ensure implementation of the software is a success.
In this article, we discuss:
- Stages of the ERP implementation process.
- Why smart companies partner with experienced professionals when implementing ERP software solutions.
What are the Stages of an ERP Implementation Process?
There are 5 stages of the ERP implementation process.
1.) Research, discovery & planning
In this stage of the ERP implementation process, information is gathered about the organization seeking to implement the ERP software, which is then used to develop a plan for its implementation.
The goals of this stage include:
- Understanding the process inefficiencies and other issues that ERP software can solve
- Evaluating different ERP software options to see which is the best fit for the company
- Assembling a team to oversee the successful implementation of the ERP software
Experienced ERP software implementation professionals can help prevent companies from overlooking potential pitfalls they might encounter when implementing their chosen ERP software solution.
Further, ERP software implementation professionals can make recommendations as to how ERP software can be used in various scenarios.
The design phase of ERP software implementation includes:
- Designing new, more efficient workflows that take advantage of the ERP software
- Working with employees to understand what customizations to the ERP software would be helpful
- Learning how existing software should integrate with the ERP software
In the development stage:
- The ERP software solution is configured for usage
- Customizations to the ERP software are made
- Integrations with existing software are developed
- Training materials are put together
The testing stage takes place after the development stage, but before the deployment stage.
The purpose of the testing stage is to determine:
- if the individual functions of the ERP software are working correctly
- how the ERP software functions interact together
- that migration of existing company data into the ERP software is seamless
- that the documentation put together for the ERP solution is accurate
5.) Deployment (“go-live”)
After the stages discussed above are completed, it is time for the ERP software solution to be deployed into production. This stage is also known as the go-live stage, in which the ERP solution is put into real-world use.
At this stage, some final, last minute data might need to be imported into the ERP software.
The team responsible for the implementation of the ERP software should be prepared to answer questions from employees who are new to the software.
Depending on the information gathered in the research, discovery & planning stage of the ERP implementation process, the company might deploy the ERP software gradually, allowing existing software to continue being used alongside the ERP software.
Like any other business software, ERP software will need continuing support and updates.
The needs of the company can change over time, and the ERP software should be adjusted to fulfill these new needs.
Further, new users of the ERP software will need to be trained.
How Professionals Can Help with Your ERP software implementation
When implementing an ERP software solution, it is best to partner with experienced experts such as Clients First Business Solutions.
Clients First specializes in implementing and helping their clients get the most out of Acumatica Cloud ERP, Dynamics 365 Finance and Supply Chain, and Dynamics Business Central. All 3 are leading Cloud-based ERP or on-premise software solutions for companies of all sizes and across all industries.
The senior-level team at Clients First has been working with ERP software for over 20 years and has significant work experience in the industries supported by Clients First. Our focus is on MROs (maintenance, repair, and overhaul), Manufacturing, Job Shops, Make-to-Order, Make-to-Stock and Service type companies. We implement our solutions globally. We strive to provide value for all our services.
To learn more about how Clients First can help implement Acumatica Cloud ERP for your company, speak with an expert today. Call 800.331.8383 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.